If you want to know where this portable charger ranks, I have reviewed a group of portable chargers in other blog posts and collectively in a buying guide.
You can charge up from the USB of its solar panel. Keep those cameras, phones and tablets charged, in all kinds of weather.
Embrace the power of the sun!
The Solar Charger RAVPower 24W Solar Panel with Triple USB Ports Waterproof Foldable for Smartphones Tablets and Camping Travel is a solar powered portable charger. It utilizes the sun's rays to charge your smartphones and tablets.
In your package you get:
- 1 x RAVPower 24W Triple-Port Outdoor Solar Charger
- 4 x Stainless Steel Hooks
- 2 x Micro USB Cables
Constructed using premium Sunpower solar cells with a charging efficiency of 21.5% - 23.5%.
Power your portable devices directly from the sun whenever you are outside.
Light and Portable - solar chargers need to be light to carry, set up, and use. This solar charger is 26.4 oz (754g) is half the size of similar chargers. It’s capable of generating enough energy to charge three devices.
Charge Smarter - iSmart technology detects and delivers the optimal charging current for any connected device. The technology ensures your devices get the fastest and most efficient charge. When under direct sunlight, all three ports are individually capable of reaching 2.4A.
Power for All – With more multiple USB ports one device could charge faster than the others. The Smart IC chip regulates the flow of energy so every device charges at an even and constant rate.
Hang It or Lay It - stretch it across a tree, place it on the ground, or hang it off your backpack. There are four stainless steel hooks to position it directly under the sun so your devices will charge. If the elements change, the waterproof nylon covering protects the solar panels. There’s the pouch that ensures your devices stay dry.
Customer Q & A Feedback
Most customers liked this multi-purpose solar charging device.
There were some questions as well.
- Do the solar panels bend in a backpack or break?
- They don’t roll up, but they fold compactly and are easy to connect to objects using the carabineers with rope
- The panels are stiff, sturdy and do not break easily. I had one that got blown off of my car while camping during very high winds. The panels did not crack, but the connection came loose
- They are somewhat flexible. I've packed them tight in my backpack and it was ok
- Can I charge 6v & 12v batteries.
- Does the solar panel prevent back-flow of electricity from charged battery to solar panel, so panel cannot be damaged?
- The pack will not charge 12v and 6v batteries, but I’ve found they’re rapid at charging small devices in full summer sun.
- Does heat (45 Degree C) effect their efficiency?
- They charge phones, power banks, torches, and iPads really quickly. With solar, temperature has an impact. Higher temperatures will reduce output but generally you have more sun too. I live where direct sun and extreme heat go together. Make sure your phone or device is in the shade when it's being charged. Phones and battery packs can’t handle much heat.
- Does it have internal batteries to store power?
- No. It connects to your devices or external batteries, which you bring with you to store the solar energy. The RAVPower 25,000mAh Solar Power Bank, for example, can supplement the outdoor-oriented RAVPower 24W Solar Panel Charger unit to provide power when sunlight access becomes a problem. The RAVPower solar bank has three 5V/6.4A outlets with quick charge capacity USB-C to maintain and power up to three smartphones or tablets at once.
- You would use your RAVPower 24W Solar Charger to reboot a power bank.
The RAVPower 24W Solar Recharging Kit folding panel is great portable backup for small devices. This product when combined with a portable lithium battery pack and a longer USB input will achieve all your small device power needs.
We like this portable solar charger and highly recommend it. It is a valuable asset for keeping your small electronics running, unless the sunshine disappears for a few days. However, if that happened, a USB power bank like the RAVPower could be a good companion emergency back-up solution.
RAVPower gadgets come with USB cords but using even longer USB cords will keep the RAVPower 24W Solar panels in the sun and hide your phones (with their sensitive lithium battery) in a more protected place.
We suggest you add an external lithium battery pack that can be charged at the same time while you walk. That will make sure your charge is uninterrupted even during occasional shading and you can hold onto some extra charge for night time power.
The carabineers, when used with rope effectively keep the panel stabilised. They can attach to a backpack while hiking to keep the charge going while walking.
The entire RAVPower 24W Solar Recharging Kit panel folds down to the size of an exercise notebook. Put it in your carry on luggage when flying to prevent it from being damaged.